Skip to main content

FAQ & contact

Frequently Asked Questions about Bruface Msc degrees

What are the tuition fees for Bruface degrees?

  • EEA students: 835 EUR per year
  • Non-EEA students: 2782 EUR per year. The fee is calculated as follows: 1102 EUR for main registration + 28 EUR per ECTS. An academic year typically consists of 60 ECTS, hence a total of 2782 EUR.


Do I need to pay an application fee?

Yes, the application fee is 50 EUR, which can be paid by credit card or bank transfer. If you wish to apply for a Bruface degree, you will need to go through a pre-admission process first. If your application is successful and you will enroll at the university, you will be reimbursed the 50 EUR (for students at VUB).

What are the application deadlines?

  • EEA students: 1 September
  • Non-EEA students: 1 April

Can I apply for a scholarship?

For non-EEA students, an overview of available scholarship programmes can be consulted here.

What is the difference between a Bruface degree and the other Msc degrees listed?

A Bruface degree is a joint degree between VUB and ULB exclusively. It includes, and only includes, the following programmes: Architectural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical and Materials Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Electromechanical Engineering. Students who wish to apply for this degree, need to go through a pre-admission platform first. The other Msc degrees in Engineering organised at VUB and ULB have their own admission processes, and require different criteria.

In which university will I enroll?

Once your application has been approved, you will receive an electronic letter of acceptance, which you can use to request your visa. Once you have arrived in Belgium, you will be invited to enroll. Please make sure to bring all right documents with you.

If you are an EEA student, your main enrolment will be at ULB. If you are a non-EEA student, your main enrolment will be at VUB. However, the Msc degrees are joint degrees, so you will have lectures, group works, assignments with both VUB and ULB students as a mixed group, and receive access to both facilities and student IDs.

What is the academic calendar like at Bruface?

The year typically starts in late September and finishes end of June. There is a winter and spring holiday, with the second semester starting in February. Each semester lasts 5 months.

How do examinations work at Bruface?

Exams are organised at the end of the semester, therefore twice a year. Once in January and once in June. Should you have failed an exam, you will have the opportunity to retake the exam in the second exam session in late august/early September. An exam can only be organised during the exam period, which is fixed in the joint calendar. No exceptions apply.

I am already enrolled in the Bruface. Where can I find more information regarding internships?

For students enrolled at VUB, please click here to read more

For students enrolled at ULB, please go to the internship module on Université Virtuelle for more information.

Frequently asked questions about studying in Brussels

How can I prepare my visa application to come to Belgium?

Although procedures may differ from one Belgian diplomatic representation to another, the basic requirements for visa applications for non-EEA are listed here.

There are no formalities before arrival for EEA citizens staying over 90 days, only a passport or a national ID card is required.

What is the cost of living like in Brussels?

The average cost of living amounts around € 900 per month (depending on the amount of house-rent, food cost, leisure, etc.). Student rooms at VUB Campus are available at around € 350/month, timely registration before 1 May (and thus admission & enrolment) is required. You can find a complete overview here.

Here you can find a nice tool to compare the cost of living in different countries and cities.

I have a non-EEA student, but have the right to stay in Belgium or the EU, which deadline should I take into account?

Students who have a non-EEA nationality but have the legal right to reside in Belgium or a country within the EEA zone, can apply until 1 September. It's important that you have at least 12 months of legal rights to reside in Belgium, if not, your application can be rejected.

How can I prepare my stay in Belgium?

While you are waiting for the outcome of your application, you may contact the Belgian consulate or embassy nearest to your place of residence in order to learn about the process and the other documents required.

Here you can find a more detailed overview of matters to take into account

What to bring to Belgium before arriving?

When preparing for a short or a long term stay at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and in order to allow for a smooth adjustment in Brussels, many items are to be considered and/or brought along. Here you can find an overview of those items.

Can I work as a student in Belgium?

If you are enrolled as a fulltime student, you can work a student job as a subordinate activity. More information about how much you are allowed to work and how to find a student job, can be found here

How does the credit system work in Belgium?

Each programme contains 60 ECTS in the first Msc year.  If you acquired 45 ECTS or more (i.e. passed your exams for a total of min. 45 ECTS), you can automatically enroll for the next academic year (i.e. the second Msc year). The maximum number of credits you can enroll for is 66 ECTS per year.

Do you have more or other questions? Please don't hesitate to contact us!